The Catholic University of America


Graduating Students:
Important notice from the Office of the Registrar
       It is never too early to start thinking about Bar exam preparation. In order for the Academic Affairs Office to properly support you in the submission of your Bar exam application documents, we will need to know which jurisdiction(s) you plan to take the exam and we will need to receive all Dean Certification forms requested from the Bar Examiners. 
Each state sets deadlines for applications to take the bar exam. If you do not meet the deadline, you will not be eligible to sit for that bar exam. If you have not already done so, please confirm the deadline(s) for the bar exam that you intend to take and download the application form. 
Please note:
It is your responsibility to turn in, on time, all requests that require a Dean’s signature. Our office requires 5-7 business days to process all bar certification requests. We are unable to provide same day or emergency service, so please plan accordingly.
Some states will require a copy of your final law school transcript. It is your responsibility to make this request. Transcripts can be requested at the University Registrars office located in Father O'Connell Hall or by visiting:
The National Conference of Bar Examiners offers the most current information regarding bar admissions requirements and includes links to all 50 state bars. 
Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements : General guide to questions concerning bar admissions within each jurisdiction. Includes a directory of state bar admission agencies.
If you are sitting for Maryland:
  • If you are taking the Maryland bar, please submit your pre-legal form to your undergraduate institution. The Law School will not fill out this form. 
  • A final law school transcript is required no later than the first day of September following an examination in July or the fifteenth day of March following an examination in February. It is your responsibility to make this request. Transcripts can be requested at the University Registrars office located in Father O'Connell Hall or by visiting:

State Board of Law Examiners
2011-F Commerce Park Drive
Annapolis, MD 21401

If you are sitting for DC:
The Certificate A form (proof of law school graduation) is required with your DC bar application. Students that request the form prior to graduating are required to provide a new Certificate A form to verify your degree to the DC bar. Please submit a bar certification request for the follow up Certificate A. Our office will not automatically send this request.

D.C. Court of Appeals
Room 123
430 E Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
TEL: 202-879-2710

If you are sitting for VA:
  • Persons Enrolled in Law Schools At The Time Of Filing For Examination: Both (1) a certificate dated within ninety days of the filing deadline, signed by the registrar or other proper official of the approved law school stating that the applicant is regularly enrolled and in good academic standing at said law school and is scheduled, in the regular course of study, to complete all requirements for a specified degree prior to the date of examination for which application is being made; and (2) after all degree requirements have been completed the applicant must submit to the Office of the Secretary either a certificate of graduation or a certificate from the law school stating that the applicant has completed all degree requirements and the date such requirements were completed (which date must be prior to the date of the upcoming bar examination), and also stating the date on which the applicant will receive the degree from such law school. This certificate must be received before the date of the scheduled Virginia Bar Examination.



  • Fingerprint Card Request - Every applicant for the Virginia Bar Examination must submit with his or her application one set of clear and distinct fingerprints on a card furnished by the Board, on a card furnished by an authorized police official, or on an "Applicant" fingerprint card issued by the U.S. Government Printing Office.

Your fingerprints MUST be taken by an authorized police official (e.g. your local police/sheriff's department) and the card MUST be signed both by you and the person taking the fingerprints. ALL personal history data (height, weight, age, etc.) must be listed in the space provided on the fingerprint card.

To obtain a fingerprint card, please mail or fax the Fingerprint Card Request Form to the Virginia Board of Bar Examiners (information below). You may also obtain a card from the registrar's office of any ABA approved law school in Virginia.

Board of Bar Examiners                       
2201 W. Broad Street, Suite 101
Richmond, VA 23219

TEL: 804-367-0412
FAX: 804-367-0416

If you are sitting for New York:
  • If you are qualifying to sit for the Bar Examination under the Court of Appeals Rule 520.3(Graduating from an ABA approved school) you must have your handwriting sample certified by an appropriate official at your law school. Please note that the Law School is unable to compare your hand writing to writing on file, therefore, you must complete the sample in front of us or, if you are outside of the DC area, you will need to follow the procedure for obtaining notary certification of the handwriting sample.  
  • A law school certificate of attendance form or an official transcript must be received at the Board office no later than February 1st for the February examination and no later than June 15th for the July examination. Please turn in your request forms to suite 343.

State Board of Law Examiners
Corporate Plaza - Building #3
254 Washington Avenue Extension
Albany, NY 12203
TEL: 518-452-8700
FAX: 518-452-5729

            Please take a moment to complete a Bar Certification Request Form located in suite 343. If a Dean’s certification is not required at this time, please send an email to Tiffany Jones at so that we can properly track where you are planning to sit. 
We look forward to making this process as smooth as possible for you.  If you have any questions, please feel free to stop by the Academic Affairs Office (Room 343) or call 202-319-6478.