The Catholic University of America

Financial Aid >VA Benefits



Updated 09/23/08

Veterans and those eligible to receive veterans' educational benefits at CUA must contact the Office of the Registrar (Room 10 McMahon Hall) to initialize benefits with CUA. Veteran students may contact Michelle Walker by email at or telephone at 202-319-5308. In person service is also available in Room 10 McMahon Hall.

Students who have never received benefits must apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs via the VA website: to establish eligibility. Check out the CUA Veterans Information webpage for more information.




On June 20, 2008, the President signed into law the Supplemental Appropriations Act (PDF) (P.L. 110-252) to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The bill also incorporates the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (PDF), which contains a host of new benefits for GIs who have served in the military since the 9/11 terrorist acts.

The enhanced educational benefits, which the new law compares to those provided to World War II veterans, are payable for a total of 36 months, the equivalent of four years of college, and remain available for up to 15 years after a veteran's last discharge or release from active duty.

This program goes into effect for the 2009-2010 academic year, providing educational assistance to individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009. Veterans will be eligible for:

  • All in-state tuition & fees at a public university. Tuition & fee reimbursements at a private university are capped at $18,077.
  • Up to $1,000 per academic year for books, supplies, equipment, and other educational costs.
  • A monthly housing stipend equal to the amount of basic housing for military personnel in military housing, adjusted by ZIP code. Individuals with a skill or specialty that is in critically short supply, as designated by the Secretary of Defense, may have their monthly stipend increased
  • Up to $100 per month for up to 12 months for students who require tutoring, as certified by the instructor leading the course
  • A $500 relocation/travel assistance grant for those living in county with less than seven persons per square mile and who relocate at least 500 miles to attend school or who must travel by air to attend an institution because it is too far to drive
  • Up to $2,000 for one licensing or certification exam

You must have served at least 30 days of continuous active duty service after September 10, 2001 and be discharged due to a service-connected disability, or served an aggregate of 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001.

The information above are excerpts from the "NASFAA Summary Of New GI Bill" by Justin Draeger, NASFAA Associate Director for Communications, and the Department of Veterans Affairs' Brochure (PDF) on The Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008.

For the most up-to-date information on this and other education benefits, please visit



Today's GI Bill - Connecting America's Veteran's to Higher Education

GI Bill FAQ - Dept of Veterans Affairs

SOC - Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges

New GI Bill Overview -


[Back to Top]