Whether you use Windows or a Mac, it is very important to keep your computer up to date. Microsoft and Apple frequently release security updates to address recently-found vulnerabilities. Without those updates your computer is more succeptable to malware, regardless the state of your antivirus software.
Look for your operating system below for steps to manually check for updates.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on either the Tools menu (fig. 1) or the Security button (fig. 2).
- Select Windows Update.
- Follow the prompts to install the recommended updates, if there are any available. Your computer may need to reboot to complete the installation.
- Click on the Start Button (the round Windows icon in the lower left corner).
- Click on All Programs (fig. 3).
- Click on the program called Windows Update (fig. 4).
- When the window appears, click on "Check for updates" (fig. 5)
- If there are any "important" updates, follow the prompts to install them. Your computer may need to reboot to complete the installation.
- Click the Apple menu in the top left corner of the screen (fig. 6).
- Select "Software Update..."
- Software Update will check for any new updates. If there are any available, click "Install" or "Install and Restart" (fig. 7).